Since the application is a dynamic database with multiple options for adding new contacts, you should run regular monthly duplicate and household checks. A Duplicate Check checks the database for duplicate contacts (name + address and/or email and/or phone) and allows you to combine the duplicates into a single record. A Household Check checks the database for contacts who are members of the same household (address) and allows you to link the contacts together in a household.
NOTE: Your user account must have the Duplicate Check and Household Check privileges granted to it in order to view/run this feature. Please contact our helpdesk for assistance.
NOTE: Running a system-wide duplicate or household check takes time and may slow other processes, so you should always schedule your checks to run overnight or on a weekend.
Start in the Contacts module to run a Duplicate or Household Check. Select Dup/Household Check from the left navigation panel.
- Click the New button that appears above your list of duplicate and household processes.
- This will start a new process. You must specify whether you are running a Duplicate or Household check by selecting the correct Process Type.
- If you are running a Duplicate Check, you will have several options. Make your selections, and then click Start.
- Match Type: Choose how you want your duplicate records to be matched. You can choose to match records based on whether the records’ names and physical addresses match, if their names and email addresses match, or if all three—names, physical addresses and email addresses— match.
- Additional Fields: You can select additional fields to match by such as gender and prefix. Keep in mind that the more fields you select, the stricter the duplicate match will be. You can also choose to only include contacts since last check. If you are running regular duplicate checks, this option will make the process run more quickly.
- Date Range: You can choose to run a check for contact records that were created or modified during a certain time frame.
- If you are running a Household Check, you will have fewer options than the Duplicate Check. You will leave Match Type and Additional Fields as they are unless you choose to include only contacts since last check. If so, check “Include only contacts since last check.” You can also adjust date range if applicable. Make your selections, and then click Start.
NOTE: This will not begin the merging process. This will simply find possible matches in the database.
You will be returned to the “Dup/Household Check” screen where you will see a total count for records and groups. Hover over the name to see the options Auto Combine or Auto Household and Manual Combine and Manual Household.
It’s a good idea to test your process by selecting “Manual” and manually combining or householding a couple of records. This will help you determine if you need to adjust your criteria before running the automatic option. Click Manual Household or Manual Combine to see your first group of records.
- For a Duplicate Check Process, you will see a contact listed as the “Winner” and one or more listed as “Losers.” All of the records will be combined into the winning contact record. Select the ones you would like to combine, and click Merge. After looking at a few, if you notice errors, you can click Cancel and start a new process. If they seem fine, then run the automatic combine process.
- For a Household Check Process, you will see one contact listed as the Head of Household. You can change the Household Name and the Salutation. Additional contacts will appear below. Select the ones you would like to household together, and click the Household button. After looking at a few, if you notice errors, you can click Cancel and start a new process. If they seem fine, then run the automatic household process.
You will be returned to the list of Dup/Household Check processes.
- Click Auto Combine or Auto Household to begin the automatic process.
- You will see a small screen appear for you to schedule your automatic combining or householding process. Schedule the process to run overnight by selecting the correct date and time.
NOTE: Running a system-wide duplicate or household check takes time and may slow other processes, so you should always schedule your checks to run overnight.
- After you select your time, click Schedule.
- You will be returned to the list of Dup/Household Check processes. Your process will run at its scheduled time.