Workflow is an electronic approval process that operates within the program. Each workflow definition contains the steps for a unique approval process. As one step in the process is completed, the item will move to the next assigned staff member.
Mail activities are usually only workflowed to another staff member if a quick letter was drafted and needs approval. Keep in mind before you initiate workflow, your letter MUST be checked in.
Initiating a new Workflow from the Assign panel
From the My Mail, All Mail and/or Inbox:
1. Mark your activity by selecting the activity (clicking the checkbox).
2. From the right Assign panel, make all necessary assignments.
3. Click Actions, select Workflow from the drop-down menu.
4. The Initiate Workflow dialog opens, select the desired Workflow by clicking on the drop-down.
5. Enter Comments, if any.
6. Click the Initiate button.
Initiating a new Workflow from an Mail Activity in a contact record
1. From the contact's record, select the activity to workflow.
2. The Edit Activity window opens, make all necessary assignments.
3. Click the Drop-down arrow in the top right corner, select Workflow.
4. The Initiate Workflow dialog opens, select the desired Workflow and enter Comments, if any.
5. Click the Initiate button.
6. The next workflow step will now display in the activity screen, click the orange Save Changes button.
NOTE: If the activity still displays in your My Mail folder, click the Refresh button on the Viewer's toolbar.
The activity will move on to the next staff member's My Mail folder.
If the item is eventually workflowed back to you, you will see it in your list of mail with the workflow icon on the right hand side. You can also access all of the activities that have been workflowed to you by clicking on the Workflowed folder on the left navigation panel.
The workflow will be complete when the last step is completed or when the activity is closed.