What you need to do to prepare for your event:
Several days prior to an event...
The day of the event...
About 5 minutes before the event is scheduled to begin, the system will begin calling to invite your audience to participate. Dialing will continue for about 20 minutes. It’s important that the host record the following outgoing messages in his/her own voice so that your audience will hear him/her when a connection is made.
NOTE: All recordings must be in place 24 hours in advance of your Access Live™ Event.
Types of messages to record
- Live Answer Message: This message is played when a person answers the phone. It invites them to stay on the line to join the call.
- Answering Machine Message: This message is played when an answering machine or voice-mail is detected.
- Post Call Voicemail Message: This message is played after the call has ended. It gives those participants who were unable to ask their question live during the meeting an opportunity to speak by inviting them to leave a voicemail with their question along with further comments. Please make sure to request that your attendees leave their contact information and email address so that they can be signed up for your enewsletter. (This message will only be heard by live participants at the end of the call.)
- Announcement Call (optional): You have the option of recording an announcement message to be broadcast the day before your event. This message can be very helpful toward increasing awareness and participation in your event. Additional costs are involved if you are doing a Basic Access Live™ Event, so please consult a Sales Representative for further details. (An announcement call is included with a Total Access Event. We commonly see a 15-20% increase in participation by using this to announce your Access Live™ Event. This advance dial-out also has the added benefit of ensuring the quality of your phone list.)
How to record sound files
NOTE: For proper sound quality, these messages should be recorded using a landline with a headset. Avoid using speaker phones or cellular phones.
- Call the automated recording line at 800-619-5518.
- Enter your PIN followed by the # (pound) key.
- To begin recording, press 1.
- Recording will commence at the sound of the tone. Press the # (pound) key when you are finished.
- Recording will stop, and you will hear the following options:
- "To save and record a new message, press 5"
- "To listen to the recorded message, press 1"
- "To erase and re-record, press 2"
- "To continue the recording, press 3"
- "To finish recording, press 4 or just hang up"
We have included several suggested scripts for you below. You are free to use your own scripts for any part of your Access Live™ Event, but if you’d like to use or rewrite these scripts, you are welcome to do so. Due to FCC regulations, each outbound recording must contain your name and phone number.
NOTE: If you are a Congressional office, before recording your messages, you MUST get prior Franking Approval for all scripts that will be used for outbound messages.
NOTE: If you are running a campaign call, you must record a "paid for" disclaimer at the end of your Live Answer and Answering Machine messages. Example: "This call was paid for by Friends of XX."
Live Answer Message (Automatically placed in call) – Bolded text must be included
“Hello, this is Congressman/woman Smith. If you stay on the line right now, you can instantly join in on a live toll free Telephone Town Hall event I’m currently holding regarding issues that are important to our district. To join in on this important live Telephone Town Hall event, just stay on the line, and you will be instantly connected. You can listen to me interact with fellow constituents and also have the opportunity to ask me questions. You can also contact me by calling my office at 555-555-5555 or by visiting my website at (web address). Again to join in on this important Telephone Town Hall event just stay on the line and you will be connected to the call. Thank you!”
Answering Machine Message – Bolded text must be included
“Hello, this is Congressman/woman Smith. I’m calling to invite you to participate in a live, toll free, Telephone Town Hall event, to give you the opportunity to ask question about the important issues currently affecting you and your neighbors. If you happen to be on the phone right now, please join us by pressing 1 on your phone keypad. If you are not available, I’m sorry that I missed you, but we will be doing this again, so I hope you will be available next time. You can also contact me by calling my office at 555-555-5555 or by visiting my website at (web address).Thank you!”
End of Call Voicemail Box Message
“Thank you for taking the time to participate in my live Telephone Town Hall event. If you have any questions or comments for me, please leave your name, address, and email after the tone. You can also contact me by calling my office at 555-555-5555 or by visiting my website at (web address).Thank you!”
Announcement Call: (Optional)
We strongly recommend at Announcement Call to publicize an upcoming Access Live™ event, a traditional town hall meeting, or any other upcoming event.
Sample Announcement Call Script - Bolded text must be included
“Hello. This is Congressman/woman Smith. I will be hosting a live toll free Telephone Town Hall Meeting regarding (issues) next Tuesday the 25th. I will be calling you at this number around 5:00 pm. All you will have to do to be connected to the call is stay on the line. Again, I will be hosting a live toll free Telephone Town Hall event regarding (issues) next Tuesday the 25th. I will be calling you at this number around 5:00 pm. To be removed from our calling list, please press 9 now. For more information, visit my website at (web address) or call my office at 555-555-5555. I look forward to speaking with you.”