1. Click the Name/Title of the list or document library.
NOTE - You can also click Settings , and click Site contents, and then look for and click the title of the library or list you want to add versioning to.
2. On the ribbon, click on the Library or List tab, click Alert Me, and click Set an alert on this list.
3. On the New Alert page, change the title for the alert if you want.
4. In the Send Alerts To section, enter the user names or email addresses of people you want alerts to be sent to.
5. Set other options in the Change Type, when to send alerts and other sections.
6. Click OK.