As you add photos to the website, you might notice that a photo is too large or doesn't fit within the given dimensions of your photo gallery. There are a variety of programs that you can use for photo editing. We often recommend Pixlr, a free web-based tool for photo editing that will allow you to easily resize photos to your exact specifications. (If you are unsure of your slidshow or button slider dimensions, contact our support team.)
Start by opening up your web browser and navigating to http://pixlr.com/editor.
- Click the Create a new image option.
- You will be prompted for image dimensions. Type in the width and height, but do not change any of the other settings. (If you do not already know the dimensions for your slideshow images, email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Click OK.
Opening Your Image as a Layer
- Select Layer from the top menu, and then select Open image as a layer.
- Just below Layer in the top menu, you will see a field entitled "Constraint." Set "Constraint" to Aspect Ratio so that the width and height are proportional.
Resizing the Photo
Once your photo has been opened as a layer, you are ready to resize the image to fit within the correct dimensions.
- Select Edit from the top menu, and then select Free transform.
- A dotted box with small blue blocks in each corner and on each side will appear around the image. Drag one of the blue corner blocks diagonally so that the aspect ration stays proportional (width and height).
NOTE: If you drag to the side rather than diagonally, you will distort the image.
- Resize the image until it fits the canvas perfectly. You will most likely lose some parts of the image since it's a different size. You can center the image by clicking and dragging your photo to the desired position. (You will see a small hand icon appear as you do this.)
- After you get the image in the exact position you want, click outside the canvas. A "Confirm" window will pop up asking if you want to apply the changes. If you are happy with it, click Yes.
Saving the Photo
You can now save the resized image for future use.
- Select File from the top menu, and then select Save.
- The "Save image" window will pop up. Make sure to save it to your computer.
- Give the photo a name. (Keep in mind best practices for file names - no spaces and no special characters other than hyphens and underscores.)
- Select JPEG as the format.
- The quality of the image should be 80 or higher.
- Click OK.
- You are now ready to upload the photo the slideshow rotator on your Constituent Gateway Website. For more information about working with your home page slideshow, see How do I update the slideshow on the home page?