Pushed content allows you to take content from one section of your website and have it display in another section or sections. This is especially useful for pieces of content you want to display on every page of your site or for small pieces of content that might only take up a portion of a page.
Often pushed content will be created within the Hidden Section folder. This folder does not display in any menu on your website, so viewers cannot navigate to any content within it. These items are only visible on your website if you link to them from elsewhere in your site or if you push them to other sections. Items typically stored here include widgets such as Bill Search or e-News Sign Up, buttons, the Home Page News Rotator, and an Uploads folder.
Creating New Content in the “Hidden Section”
Log into the Constituent Gateway Publishing System. Select Website from the Top Navigation Menu.
Locate the “Hidden Section” folder, and click the name of the folder to view its contents. To help keep content easy to manage, it’s a good idea to store each piece of hidden content in its own folder.
- To create new content, click on Add Folder.
- Most content for pushed sections can be added with basic type content. For instance, text and images can be created with basic content, but so can buttons and widgets. Once you’ve named your folder and selected a folder type, click Save to add your folder.
NOTE: Basic content that is pushed to other sections is usually created in the “Introduction” of the page rather than the "Content." Other types of pushed content such as News, Events, Photo Galleries, and Surveys are created in the content area. See our other articles for editing specific types of content.
- Your new folder will appear at the bottom of the Hidden Section's list of folders. Click its name and create the new Introduction or Content. Edit as you normally would, and click Save.
- Click Return to Parent to return to the Home Page folder.
Pushing Content to Another Section
Once you create your content, you will need to navigate to the section of the section of the website where you want your content to display.
- If you don’t plan to push your new content to the Home Page, then navigate to the correct folder.
NOTE: If you are pushing content to your Home Page, avoid key design areas such as the Home Page Rotator, Breaking News, and the Media Stream.
- When you reach the correct folder, scroll down the page until you see the Pushed Sections, and select Add Push.
- Select your Destination from the dropdown menu. You can opt to push the content to "All Sections" so that it shows up on every page of your site, "All Root Level Sections" so that it shows up on your main menu pages, or "This Section" so that it just shows up on this page and its child pages.
- Select the Item Type from the second dropdown menu.
NOTE: For most Basic type content, you will be pushing the Introduction. For News, Blogs, or Events, you will be pushing Content. Surveys and Photo Galleries have their own content type.
- Choose the position on the page from the third dropdown menu.
- Choose the name of the content you’re pushing in the fourth dropdown menu.
- Check Live to make the content appear on your site.
- Check or uncheck the Header box, and then click Save.
Your new push will be at the bottom. You can rearrange your content by checking in the sort boxes. bottom of the page. Look at the numbers next to the checkboxes. First check the item that you want to move up, then check the item that’s in the position you want to move it to. For example, if you want the item that is listed in the 6th position to move up to the 4th position, first check next to the 6, and then check next to the 4.
Click the Section URL at the top of the screen to see your push live on the website.