You can create new cases from within a contact’s individual record OR from the toolbar in the Services module. You can also create a new case by converting correspondence in the Mail module to casework.
Create a new casework request...
Start by searching for the contact using the Quick Search in the upper right corner. If the contact already has casework, you will see a small orange badge below the contact indicating the number of cases the contact has had with the office. If a contact already has an open case for this issue, you can update it rather than creating a new one.
If you need to create a new case, you can select the contact from the list. (If you do not see the contact listed, click Create New Contact. After filling out the new contact’s information, follow the same instructions as below.)
- Within the Contact’s record, click the blue New button that appears on the right.
- Select Casework from the list.
- Fill out the correct Case Type, Comment, and any other desired information.
- Click Save in the bottom right corner.
- The new case will appear at the top of the contact’s Overview. Keep in mind that you are still in the contact’s record and not yet in the case. Click on the Case ID number to begin working on the case.
You can also create new casework using the New button on the toolbar. Select Services from the top navigation menu, and then select the New button from the toolbar.
- The New Case form will display in the center of your screen. Start by selecting a case type. Begin typing the case type to see a list of options appear. Select the correct one.
- The assigned staff is the person who will be handling the case. If you do not select a user ID, the case will automatically be assigned to you and display in your My Cases folder. To send it to someone else’s My Cases folder, select the correct name from the dropdown.
- Type in a comment or short description of the issue in the comment field.
- At the bottom of the form, you will see the options to create a new contact, a new organization, or to find a contact or organization. To search for the contact, select Find Contact or Organization. You will then be able to search using a variety of criteria. Once you find the contact, then select the contact, and click Apply. If the contact was not listed, close the search window, and click New Contact. The contact’s name will now appear at the top of the form.
- After completing the new case form with all of the desired information, click Save. The new case will be listed with your other casework in the My Cases folder.
If you have a correspondence activity that should become a case, you are able to convert the activity to a case, which will save the original incoming message as a case activity and create a case record for the contact.
- Select the incoming message.
- Select the More button from the toolbar, and then select Convert to Casework.
- A Convert to Case form will appear so you can assign values to the new case and the correspondence activity that will be converted to a casework activity. Label the case with a case type and any other desired information, making sure to select the assigned staff member for both the new case and the case activity.
- If the contact has an open case already, you will be able to select the case and add the correspondence activity to it. If the contact does not already have an open case, then this will automatically create a new case. Click Convert.
- The new case will be listed in the assigned staff member’s My Cases folder where he/she can add a comment, view the incoming email, and move forward with the case.